April 1946, Church of the Nazarene Camp Meeting Board made the purchase
of this property and title was transferred, placing ownership of this
tract at Lee Heights to the Church of the Nazarene.
The first camp meeting conducted on this location was under a canvas
tent in the summer of 1946. In that meeting, more than $5,000 was
received by cash and pledges and was used in erecting a tabernacle the
following year. Its construction of a steel-frame structure capable of
seating 1,000 people was completed in 1947 and used that same year for
camp meeting. The seating capacity was later enlarged to seat a
congregation of about 1200. Dormitories, cabins for individuals and
families, and a large dining hall were later erected; the latter of
which it and the tabernacle are the only two original buildings left
Since 1947, the tabernacle has housed many district gatherings of the
Louisiana District Church of the Nazarene, including but not limited to
summer camp meeting, children's camps, youth camps, and district
conventions. These are all occasions remembered well by all who have
For years, some called the camp, fondly, Lee Heights encampment. At
present, the encampment is known as Rocky Creek Camp/Nazarene Conference
Center. God has continually blessed the Louisiana District Church of
the Nazarene and where once stood old, un-air-conditioned barracks and
cabins for campers, are now fully air-conditioned and heated dorms, 32
additional private rooms for lodging, dining hall/conference room.
Our latest and current project is enclosure of the tabernacle. Nazarenes from across the district have pledged and donated monetarily; others are presently volunteering their skills. In addition to the giving of Louisiana Nazarenes, ROAM (RVs On A Mission), a group of men and women from 9 other states, is also very involved in the kick-off of construction as well as the kick-off of their newly-formed group, its first mission being to reach souls for God and its first project being the Rocky Creek Camp tabernacle.
(ROAM - Please get more information from Jerry Chrisenberry about this venture - number involved, exactly what they do, etc.)
Dr. Gene C. Phillips, District Superintendent, along with Rev. &
Mrs. Elgin Glendenning, Rocky Creek Camp Manager, the District
Properties Board, and ROAM are constructively active in the spearheading
of this project. Completion of the enclosure of the Rocky Creek Camp
Tabernacle is expected by the 94th District Assembly/Business Convention
of Louisiana Church of the Nazarene District Assembly in May.
Located at 908 Mary Hill Road, Pineville, LA (Lee Heights), Rocky Creek
Camp is not intended for use solely by Nazarenes but is available for
year-round use by other groups as well. It is a beautiful scenic
retreat and conference center, which provides facilities for all age
groups and is also handicap accessible. It is more than just a camp.
It is an extension of the ministry of all churches that take advantage
of its facilities. It provides training and recreational facilities for
all age groups. Historically, encampments such as this have been one
of the single greatest contributors to the spiritual lives of our
children, youth, and adults.
Information obtained from: A History of the Louisiana District Church of the Nazarene by Wallace E. Carruth, printed by Touchstone's, Bossier City, Louisiana, August, 1955; Rocky Creek Camp/Nazarene Conference Center brochure. 2/10/2004 ~Gena Kay Milligan, Louisiana District Church of the Nazarene